When building an Etsy Shop there are 3 extremely important elements that all Etsy Shops require in order to attract customers and grow their Sales:
- The first is by having strong Product Designs & Product Photography to entice Etsy Customers to want to click on your listings.
- The second is to have strong Keywords so that your items can be found by Etsy Customers through keyword searches.
- And the third is to have a strong Branding image that establishes your Etsy Shop as a creative, inspiring and credible business.
With most Etsy Shops I see, there is a lack of creative branding. While all Etsy Shops must follow the standard Etsy layout, there is a lot of opportunity for branding within the structure that they allow. And most of the time, the most successful Etsy Shops have a strong design presence throughout their entire Etsy shop.
Branding is essentially the image, feeling, mood and design sensibility that sets you apart from all other Etsy Shops. It tells your Etsy Customers that you are a creative business, that you offer things that no one else offers, and it establishes an identity to your Customers. It says something both about you and the people who buy your products.
You can absolutely get sales and build a customer base with no branding at all. But in order to really push your Sales to a much higher level, you really need to establish a branding identity and be creative about it.
You're going to develop your branded image over time, so don't worry about getting it right on the first try. You're going to refine your brand over many years. The most important part for you right now is to simply try it out today, and then plan to make little adjustments every few days as long as your business continues forward.
There are several places to put your own branding on your Etsy Shop. These places include the following:
- Cover Image
- Shop Icon
- Shop Owner Image
- Shop Announcement
- Shop Title
- Shop Categories/Sections
- Listing Photography & Order of Listings
- Shop Updates
- About Images & Description
- Shop Members
- Social Media Accounts
- Listing Descriptions
- Spelling & Copywriting
Each of these little areas is going to greatly impact your ability to establish a brand on your Etsy Shop and you want each section to be filled out and look complete.
If you haven't done this yet, here are few areas you should work on first for maximum impact on your Etsy shop right now:
- Design a logo for your Etsy Shop and use it for your Cover Image or Shop Icon.
- Use a professional, real photo of yourself in the Shop Owner area. People want to know you are a real person, and not hiding behind an anonymous icon or graphic.
- Get at least 1 or 2 really nice photos of your products in your Cover Image or as your first 4 featured listings on your shop. It'll take a long time to improve all of your images for all your products, but you can at least have a couple to get started.
- Write a nice "Announcement" or Shop Description on your home page. Don't use a bunch of SEO text or keywords or something spammy. Make it sound real, genuine and interesting.
Below is an example of how our Etsy shop currently looks, as well as examples of 2 of our favorite Etsy Shops. Not only do they have nice branding and design, but they have thousands of sales. And some of these examples even have poor Etsy Keywords, but their great branding, product photography, and designs override the need for lots of keywords. If people love your products, they're going to want to share and buy them on their own, without you even needing to have good keywords.
Look at some of your favorite businesses for inspiration on branding.
Don't necessarily look at other Etsy Shops. You want to look unique and different. Pull your inspiration from fashion, architecture, home decor, furniture, hospitality, luxury goods, or anywhere else like that. Don't just get inspiration from businesses that offer similar products from you. Instead, establish yourself as a creative, unique and inspiring business person, so that your Customers always look to you for ideas.