When I talk with Etsy Sellers, many of them assume that since the holidays are coming up that their sales are going to go up automatically without any extra work. But this is not the case at all.
While more people do spend money on retail items during October, November and December, you're going to have to put in the extra effort to take advantage of those sales. Otherwise, people are going to buy from other Etsy Shops instead that are prepared for the Holidays and are putting in the extra effort.
Here are 7 main things I've learned about selling on Etsy during the holidays to help you be appropriately prepared:
- If you want to get more sales, you need to put in even more time than ever.
- Gifting is a huge part of the holidays, so make sure to feature gifting items based on items you know have been used as gifts in the past. Certain items are better gift ideas than others.
- People look for deals during Christmas, so figure out some good discount or coupon strategies that work for your customers.
- You don't necessarily need "Christmas" items like Christmas Trees or Snowmen. Most items sold during the holidays are not directly related to Christmas. But they might be more related to cold weather like coats, boots, tableware, and home decor.
- Get ready for the Holidays right now, starting today. The peak of Holidays sales is Black Friday which is November 25th. That means you have less than 2 months to get ready. After Black Friday, Holiday sales online quickly decrease.
- Keywords are always your best marketing strategy. You can do newsletter emails and social media, but updating your keywords about every 2 weeks is still going to be the best way to find new customers on Etsy. When people visit Etsy.com, they are usually ready to buy something, and those people are always your best customers.
- If you're not sure what to sell for the Holidays, focus on your all-time best sellers - especially the ones that sell well year round. People like classic designs that are popular no matter what time of the year it is. So feature your best sellers, instead of New items that don't have a track record of success.
So get your Etsy Shop prepared for the Holidays right now. People start thinking about, planning for, and buying for the Holidays as early as October. So take advantage of the busy retail season. If you don't do any extra work, then you'll most likely see a drop in sales. Don't let that happen!